- Whole Green Gram [Moong dal] – 1cup
- Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
- Onion - 1 [chopped]
- Green chilli - 1 [chopped]
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Ginger - 1 tbsp [grated]
- Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – ½ tbsp
- Bengal gram – ½ tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak green gram for 8 hours. Drain excess water then dry out green gram in a cotton cloth. Coarse grind green gram with salt, coriander leaves, green chilli in a blender.
- Make ball shape from the mixture. Then steam it in idli cooker for 5 min.
- Heat oil in a pan then add mustard seeds. Once it splutters add Bengal gram, urad dal and add chopped onion then sauté well.
- Add ginger, green chilli and curry leaves & sauté for a min then add grated coconut sauté gently.
- Add steamed green gram balls sauté gently then sprinkle salt if required.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney
- Don’t mix water while grinding green gram. Because soaked green gram itself has moisture.
- We can make sweet green gram kolukattai by adding jaggery and coconut, green cardamom powder.